Herbalife – New AmCham Member
Herbalife is a global nutrition company. Herbalife was founded in Los Angeles in 1980 and operates today in more than 90 countries worldwide. We are a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: HLF) with more than 7,000 employees and millions of customers. The company reported net sales of $4.8 billion in its full year 2013 financial filings.
Herbalife is committed to helping fight obesity and poor eating habits by offering high-quality products, personal high-touch coaching, and a social environment that inspires customers to eat better, maintain a healthy weight, and pursue a healthy, active lifestyle.
• Our products are based on proven nutrition science, a commitment to nutrition research and development, a rigorous quality assurance program and control of product integrity from ‘seed to feed.’ They are not medicines and we do not make disease treatment or curative claims.
• Our flagship Formula 1 healthy meal replacement shakes are market leaders. Herbalife’s market share in the meal replacement category for 2010, 11 and 12 was respectively 24.5 percent, 26.8 percent and 28.5 percent, making Herbalife the brand leader in this category.1
• In 2012, Herbalife spent $44 million on scientific areas of R&D, quality assurance, product safety and compliance. We also partner with world class ingredient suppliers such as DuPont, BASF, DSM and Archer Daniels Midland to leverage their science, research and production competency to better our own products.
• Herbalife products are sold by independent members. Like many other direct sellers, most participants join simply to receive a discount on products they plan to consume, but some also join to make part-time income through the business opportunity.
• Herbalife’s compensation to members is entirely based on the sales of product, not on mere recruitment of other members.
• Herbalife has a robust and loyal consumer base. A study performed by Lieberman Research in 2012 found that 5.7 million U.S. households had purchased Herbalife products in the previous three months. Of those consumers, 92 percent were nonmembers. In 2013, another study by the Nielsen Company found that 3.3 percent of the U.S. adult population, or 7.9 million people, have purchased an Herbalife product within the prior three months of the study, of which 87 percent self-reported to be non-members.
• The company provides industry-leading, “Gold Standard” member and consumer protection policies, including:
o Low start-up costs for the Herbalife Member Pack and no minimum purchases required;
o 90 day money-back guarantee on the cost of the Herbalife Member Pack if membership is cancelled for any reason;
o 100% refund guarantee on product, plus return shipping costs, for the return of all unsold products purchased in the prior 12 months if membership is cancelled for any reason;
o Clear, accurate and timely disclosures to prospective Members regarding potential income in our Statement of Average Gross Compensation;
o Strong product and business opportunity claim guidelines.
Commitment to a healthy, active lifestyle
The company sponsors over 150 sporting events, teams and athletes around the world that define the company’s commitment to a healthy active life supported by good nutrition. These include world-renowned soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo; U.S. triathlete, Heather Jackson; Columbian golfer, Paola Moreno; Italian diver, Tania Cagnotto; and Indian cricket star, Virat Kohli, among others.
Herbalife is the official presenting sponsor and jersey sponsor of 2011 and 2012 MLS Cup champions, LA Galaxy. The landmark extension to the partnership, announced in 2010, is valued at over $44 million, and is the single largest and longest sponsorship agreement for an MLS club in League history. As part of the agreement, $2.5 million will go towards joint community programs by the LA Galaxy Foundation and Herbalife Family Foundation.
Beginning 2012, Herbalife is the presenting sponsor of Herbalife Triathlon Los Angeles, and was presenting sponsor of the Herbalife World Football Challenge 2011 and 2012, with top teams from around the world competing. The company is also the Official Nutrition Advisor of the American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO), the leading youth soccer organization in the U.S.
Commitment to giving back
The Herbalife Family Foundation (HFF) is a non-profit organization supported by Herbalife Ltd., its independent Distributors, employees, friends and families. Created in 1994 by Herbalife founder Mark Hughes, HFF is dedicated to enhancing the quality of children’s lives by creating programs and supporting non-profit organizations in the community that feed vulnerable children.
In 2005, HFF was proud to introduce Casa Herbalife, a program to help provide healthy and nutritious meals by partnering with existing charities serving children. This program for vulnerable children is named after an orphanage HFF built in Brazil in 1998 and continues to support today. We now have over 100 Casa Herbalife programs around the world, helping feed more than 120,000 children every day.
Commitment to industry leadership
Herbalife is affiliated with and plays an active role in a large number of its industry trade organizations, including The World Federation of Direct Selling Associations, the Federation of European Direct Selling Associations and more than 50 national Direct Selling Associations. It is a founding member of the International Alliance of Dietary/Food Supplement Associations (IADSA) and is on the CEO council of Food Supplements Europe (FSE). Herbalife also is represented on the boards of the Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN) in the United States and the United Kingdom. It is a founding member of the board of CRN-International, based in Switzerland. Herbalife is a founding member and chair of the Latin America Responsible Nutrition Alliance and a founding member and on the board of ANAISA, the chamber of Mexico’s dietary supplement industry. Herbalife is also a member of the ASEAN Alliance of Health Supplement Association, the U.S. Personal Care Products Council, the American Herbal Products Association and the American Botanical Council.
Nutrition Blog: www.discovergoodnutrition.com
Fitness Blog: www.discovergoodfitness.com
Beauty Blog: www.discovergoodbeauty.com